Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Continuation

I'm in Joliet now. I cried on the way here talking to my dad about this project, I'm so overwhelmed. I think I'm getting TOO MUCH critique. Hmm. But for every 5 frustrating nuggets there's 1-2 that make me really stop and think. I'm shooting with film now, using a 67 and a square, playing around I guess. I'm pissed, I just bought a 20' cable release that doesn't work, but this weekend I'm shooting with the Yashica Mat that doesn't even have a hole for that, it has a self timer which is sweet. Whatever, I'll figure it out. I shot in my high school this afternoon, where my mom worked. A security guard let me in, however she watched me the whole time so no self-p's today. I got some shots outside of and in her room, so those might be neat. Or at least prove my point as to why I don't want images that don't have her in them. I finally found the words for why I don't want to do that- I think, without my presence, it cements the fact that she is dead. When those images have an absence of life, and it is purely what she left behind, I can't look at it. The images will have too much weight I feel, at least for me. And that's not MY vision and doesn't go with the project. It's MY project, in the end.

There is a method to my madness!

Anyway enough shop talk, here's some of the film images I am considering. (These aren't final scans, except one, these are from the sleeve.









(There is text for this, however I have not made it into a .jpg yet)



(Reshot for this text)





4 Comments:

Blogger Crows Feet said...

these are gorgeous slu! especially the first one. film: good choice. how the hell are you getting these in focus so goddamn well?

February 24, 2008 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger caitlin arnold said...

Yes in the end, this project is yours but I think this is the time to really play around with every way of making these pictures to figure out which way works best. Don't freak out, everything will be okay! You have some tough teachers this semester, Elizabeth and Karen! That's a lot to handle but I'm sure you can do it. Just take a lot of breathers, ya know? :)

February 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

thanks dudes.

Elise: a lot of practice I guess? Haha! Some are still a bit out of focus, though.

Caitlin: despite what I wrote I shot some self-p's and some set-ups, I think the key for me is making the still life photos look like they have some life in them so they don't have so much weight. I just dropped off five rolls of film so I'll see how they look.

February 26, 2008 at 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey lady! I'm randomly popping up like a creep on your blog.. came across it when I was checking out those tattooed ladies photos on your website :) Anyway, I just wanted to say that the photos are looking beautiful so far, I can't wait to see more!

February 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home